Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Putting my hard earned education to use

I received an email on Sunday night from a man named Francis and he works with DUCOR Waste Management (DUCOR) and the Liberia Environmental Action Fund (LEAF). They are partnering with WACSN in a few areas dealing with safe water, sanitation, hygiene and public health. He asked if I would be interested in working with him on a couple of projects that he is working on. The projects include the building of sustainable community pour-flush toilets and wells in Peri-urban market communities to help improve living conditions, remove health hazards and prevent environmental degradation. They are wanting to educate Monrovia’s market communities (mostly women and children) in matters of public health, recycling and the proper handling and disposal of waste.
I was floored when I received this email because this is similar to the project that I'm developing (educating of women on the importance of water sanitation and proper hygiene practice) for school. Of course I emailed him back saying I would be delighted to work with him and help him in anyway possible. My trip is coming together and I'm getting more and more excited as the time comes for me to leave. Now the only thing I need to worry about is getting IRB approval before I leave and packing! 11 more days....