Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I Love You

As I sit and reflect on the time I spent with Love yesterday, I came to the realization that change needs to occur for children like her. She has so much going for her, she is smart, athletic and most of all genuine. From the moment she ran up to me in the market until the time she went home all she wanted was someone to pay attention to her. Unfortunately she has a path that has been set before her. I pray that she does not end up like most of the women here in Liberia....submissive to men, uneducated and abused. I hope that a family choses to adopt her and take her away from here so that she is able to be a child and have a chance at life.
This is why change needs to happen soon - the children of Liberia are not able to act like children as most of them are helping their mothers sell in the markets or they are watching after their little siblings. Most of the men and women have become numb so that they do not have to feel pain, shame and lonliness. I have not seen one mother or father show affection towards their child since I have been here. I was showing the children the sign for I love you. I asked a little girl if her parents ever tell her that they love her. She told me that she has never heard those words before. My heart broke for this child who has never heard the words I love you. These children have a right to act like children, to have an education, to live in a safe environment and most of all grow up in a loving environment.