Monday, July 14, 2008

Hello From Liberia

Hello Friends and Family!
After a long trip from Orange County to Chicago, to Brussels, to Ivory Coast to Monrovia I made it here safe and sound! I had an interesting day traveling over to Liberia....I have to say I met some very interesting people along the way and I was shocked when I had to chose between lamb or fish as a meal on the plane....they don't serve that in the US.
Liberia is everything that I was told it would be - beautiful, distinct smell, beautiful people and mysterious. I arrived at sunset so I wasn't able to see much of the town driving to the compound but from what I could see it is nothing like I imagined. There are men, women and children walking on the side of the road, people sitting on their front porches using candles for light and the roads have tons of potholes in them. Their driving here makes me a little nervous. If I had to compare it I would say its like driving in Tijuana mixed with drivers from Leisure World....scary I know. I was able to talk with Francis on the drive home and he is so passionate about helping the people here. He has a great vision and I feel privaliged to be working with him and his team. Tomorrow we will be going to a Health Conference....that is if we can sneak in then we will be going to the market place. I'm so excited to begin this exciting adventure. I will post pictures as soon as I can!