Friday, August 15, 2008

Reflection

I look back over my stay here in Liberia and there is one thing that has clearly happened to me. My world has been turned around and my ways of seeing and thinking are drastically different than before I stepped foot in Africa. I sit here and see the endless disadvantages of the people here, the empty hands and stomachs that shouldn't even exist. I see the surplus that the developed world has, a world in which I'm a part of, where people are expected to accumulate, not give away.
As I see the children working in the markets and I see the women and men who work 12-14 hour days just to make a dollar I become haunted. There is no way I can walk away from here and reject the injustice of this unequal world. Christ saw the same thing...he saw the poor, the blind, the sick and the rejected who were struggling. He also saw the other side...the wealthy that didn't take care of the people who were not able to help themselves. He took a stand for the helpless. When I stand back and see the haves and the have-nots, it suddenly becomes clearer and I see the cry for help...that's when I see the heart of Christ in the ones who cry.
I remember reading a book and the author said
"It is not possible to be too generous in this world. It is not likely that I can go wrong in providing for someone if the money is available or my "budget" can be stretched to help a person in need."
I agree with him 100%.
Many people have thanked me for coming and helping their people...but I thank them for opening my eyes and my heart. I have been so blessed to meet the most interesting people and to hear the stories of the people’s lives have been incredible. I will hold a special place in my heart for all of the men, women and children who I have met. There will not be a day that goes by that I will not think of them and miss my dear friends.