Thursday, August 14, 2008

Liberianized



On Wednesday night there was a party at the compound. Maria and Francis had a farewell party for Jem and I. The friends that we have met during our stay came to our party. People from WACSN, DUCOR, Ministry of Health, Immigration, Public Works, Liberia Water and Sewer, Mambo Town East, UNDP, Decontee and Vivian. Jem and I had a chance to thank everyone who has taken the time to meet with us and share so much information with us. Each person that I have met has taught me something. Being in the field has been an eye opening experience and this trip was worth the time and money it took to plan this trip. Then Jem and I were "Liberianized". They bought us traditional dresses and gowned us. My dress is beautiful and now my official Liberian name is K-Ma. We took tons of pictures so I can share them with you. We had a great meal and some people started to leave. We were invited to go out to a "club". We went to Groovies which is a restaurant during the day and then at night they have karaoke. They played a lot of reggae and hip hop. Abigail got up and sang a couple of songs. There was even one guy who sang The Gambler by Johnny Cash...they know about country even in Liberia! I had a great time and I want to thank Maria and Francis for having the party for us.