Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Childhood Education

We went to the children's home yesterday for the first day of school. I was excited to see the children as I have wanted to spend as much time as possible with them. They were excited to see Abigail and I as they have been looking forward to starting "school". PTO, Marco, BaBoy, Ezekiel and Era all asked about James. The wanted to know if I have talked to him since I have been here. They also asked to see the video of him. I told them that they could watch it after "school" was done. We got everyone situated and immediately started on testing what each child knew. To my surprise most of them could recite the alphabet and could identify each letter. There was one child who was 3 and he could recite his ABC's. Most of the children could count from 1-20 but had a harder time identifying the numbers. We taught them the American version of the ABC's and when they were singing it they were dancing around. I was cracking up the whole time. So the children will be learning 3 days a week for an hour and a half to start. As time passes I hope that the time will increase.
I am so glad that WACSN has agreed to start teaching the children the basics. This will definitely help the adoptive parents when they take them back home and they enroll them into school. I am thankful that I was able to find the right people to start this kind of program to lay the foundation for these precious children.